Easy recipes are the best! Easy recipes that only have a few ingredients and result in a delicious dessert for a crowd? Even better than the best! That is the case with these 6 ingredient ooey gooey butter bars.
Our family has been making these gooey butter bars for years. Many people mistake them for lemon bars but are surprised (and pleased) to find out that they are delicious, cream cheese filled bar instead.
It is one of the simplest bar recipes – especially since it uses a cake mix for the base. This recipe is so simple that kids can make it too. Just make the base then pour the cream cheese filling over the top. As it bakes, the cream cheese forms a thin crust. You dust the bars with powdered sugar when they are cooled.
One of my other favorite things about gooey butter bars? They freeze fantastically! You can make a pan of these bars, cut them up, and serve half now while freezing the rest for later. It’s a great way to bake ahead for your next gathering when you need a sweet treat!
Here is this easy recipe for ooey gooey butter bars.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read more in my disclosure policy.
1 box yellow cake mix
1 stick butter, melted
8 oz cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Melt butter in a bowl. Stir in yellow cake mix and one egg. The mixture will be stiff. Pat into a greased and floured 9×13 pan.
In a mixer, mix together cream cheese, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Slowly beat in powdered sugar. Pour mixture on top of cake mix in pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.Print
Gooey Butter Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Melt butter in a bowl. Stir in yellow cake mix and one egg. The mixture will be stiff.
- Pat into a greased and floured 9×13 pan.
- In a mixer, mix together cream cheese, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar.
- Pour cream cheese mixture on top of cake mix in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until lightly brown and set all the way through.
- Allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Slice into bars and serve.
- Serving Size: 1