Our household is a Lego household. My husband has long been an avid Lego builder and collector and he has instilled that love of Legos in our children. I know Legos can be expensive but we have learned some ways to stretch our money and get the best value on the Lego sets we do buy. I have even discovered there are many Lego sets under $20 – which make wonderful gifts or additions to a Lego collection.
Legos are an investment but as frugal as I am, this is one instance where I would not recommend buying a cheaper version. Legos are a high quality toy and they are built to last. The basic Lego blocks allow so much creativity in young children. I believe every household should have some Legos!
How do we save money on Legos? There are a couple ways to find cheap Legos.
First and most importantly, watch for sales on Legos. This happens more often than you think it will! If you find a great sale on Legos (at any time throughout the year), buy the set and set it aside for a birthday or Christmas. The sales really do run year round! You can also find random Lego sets on clearance so it is worth always checking those aisles when you shop.
Second, add Lego sets to your child’s birthday or Christmas wish lists. If your child loves Legos, suggest Legos as a gift idea to Grandparents, Aunts or Uncles. In our family, the Uncles especially love giving Legos!
Another way to find deals on Legos is to always watch for Legos at garage sales or kid’s resale shops. I once bought a paper size box of Legos for $10 at a garage sale – an amazing bargain! Just keep your eyes open because you never know what you will find. You can also buy Lego sets on Ebay, although those might not be as cheap – depending on who is selling them. However, if you are looking for a certain set, Ebay is worth checking out.
Finally, if you are looking to buy cheap Lego sets without waiting and watching, here are some of the best Lego sets under $20.
I searched online and found Lego sets that are always under $20. Some of the Lego sets are even under $10! These are affordable Lego gifts for birthdays or Christmas – to start a collection or add to an existing one.
There are Lego sets for everyone – as you will see in this list of Lego sets under $20.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read more in my disclosure policy.
Classic Lego Sets Under $20
If you are looking for a general assortment of Legos, classic brick kits provide a great deal of Legos for a bargain price. Here are a couple classic kit options – all sets under $20! These Lego sets are perfect for a new builder or for a child who wants to add to his Lego collection.
- Lego Classic Bricks and Ideas Building Kit (123 pieces)
- Lego Classic Creative Breaks (221 pieces)
- Lego Classic Bricks and Gears Building Kit (244 pieces)
- Lego Classic World Fun (295 pieces)
- Lego Classic Brick Set (300 pieces)
Disney Lego Sets Under $20
If you have a Disney lover in your family, check out some of these adorable Lego sets! These do vary by the year and season, and revolve around whatever movie is coming out. If your child loves a particular Disney movie, watch for corresponding Lego sets and buy them when they are available.
- Cinderella’s Carriage Ride (91 pieces)
- Toy Story 4 Woody and RC (69 pieces)
- Toy Story 4 Carnival Coaster (98 pieces)
- Frozen Elsa’s Market Adventure (125 pieces)
- Frozen II Anna’s Canoe Expedition (108 pieces)
City Lego Sets Under $20
The Lego City set is one of the largest collections in the Lego catalog. There are so many different components as part of the city! Many of the cars are available for under $20. Some are even less than $10, perhaps allowing you to buy more than one item?
- Lego City Arctic Exploration Team (70 pieces)
- Lego City Garbage Truck (90 pieces)
- Lego City Police Patrol Car (92 pieces)
- Lego City Kayak Adventure (84 pieces)
- Lego City Satellite Mission (84 pieces)
- Lego Dessert Valley Racer (75 pieces)
- Lego City Construction Loader (88 pieces)
- Lego City ATV Race Team (239 pieces)
- Lego City Diving Yacht (148 pieces)
- Lego City Snow Groomer (197 pieces)
- Lego City Monster Truck (192 pieces)
- Lego City Pizza Van (249 pieces)
- Lego City Forest Tractor (174 pieces)
- Lego City Police Tow Truck Trouble (144 pieces)
- Lego City Jungle Explorers (141 pieces)
- Lego City Dock Side Fire (97 pieces)
Lego Sets Under $20 for Girls (Friends Lego Sets)
Legos aren’t just for boys! In the last couple years, Lego has expanded their Lego Friends sets, which are designed specifically with girls in mind. We have an Emma so I have a feeling my husband will be buying some of the Emma sets just because of the matching name! 🙂
- Emma’s Mobile Vet Clinic (50 pieces)
- Emma’s Art Stand (210 pieces)
- Olivia’s Hamster Playground (81 pieces)
- Olivia’s Mission Vehicle (223 pieces)
- Mia’s Foal Stable (118 pieces)
- Mia’s Forest Adventure (134 pieces)
- Lego Friends Turtle Rescue Mission (225 pieces)
Duplo Lego Sets Under $20
Don’t forget that Duplos are great for kids too young for Legos! Duplos, like Legos, are built to last for many years and many kids! General Duplo sets are just over $20 but often go on sale for under $20, so keep an eye out for those! Here are some Duplo sets that are always under $20.
- My First Number Train (23 pieces)
- My First Car Creations (34 pieces)
- Duplo Farm Animals (16 pieces)
- Duplo Dump Truck and Excavator (26 pieces)
- Duplo Fire Truck (21 pieces)
- Duplo Toy Story Train (21 pieces)
- Duplo Belle’s Tea Party (19 pieces)
Do you have any favorite Lego sets that are under $20? Or any tips for finding cheap Lego deals?