With the anticipation of snow (that never really came), the added hours of daylight (after daylight savings time) and with getting ready for Emma’s first birthday this week (on the 16th), I went grocery shopping on Sunday evening. I put Emma down to bed at 7 and left Andy to put Nathan down while I ran out to the stores. I don’t like to go Sundays because of crowds and the picked over deals, but this time? It worked out okay. I still prefer my Monday mornings to shop (even with my kids) but occasionally, a Sunday evening trip works out.
I started at Kroger where I was able to find all the deals on my list. I was pleasantly surprised by that fact! Here’s what I bought at Kroger.
There were quite a few deals, thanks to the current “Buy 5, Save $5” mega deal. After sales and coupons, here’s what I bought and the prices I paid.
- Chuck roast – $2.99/lb
- Meijer cheese slices – Free digital coupon
- Sargento cheese slices – $2.49
- Cheese blocks (16 ounces) – $2.49 each
- Lindt chocolate egg – Free digital coupon
- Simply lemonade – Free digital coupon
- Crescent rolls – $0.50 each after sale and digital coupon
- Corn mission tortillas – $1.69/30 pack
- Uncooked flour tortillas – $1.59
- Gallon whole milk – $2.59
- Rolls – $1.69 each
- Tortilla chips – $1.15 each
- Triscuits – $1.79
- Stayfree pads – $0.99 each after sale and $2/2 printable coupon
- Oscar Meyer ham (22 ounces) – $5.99 after sale
- Applesauce – $2.19 each
- Breyers ice crem – $2.99 after sale
In total, I spent $53.84 at Kroger. My total was a little higher than usual because I bought the rolls, ham and cheese slices to make ham and cheese sliders for Emma’s birthday. Oh, and the ice cream isn’t pictured but that was for her birthday, too.
Next, I headed down the road to Meijer where the deals were more picked over. I was not able to pick up the 3 pounds of apples for $1, the $1 juice concentrate or the $0.99/lb pork chops. We’ll swing by later this week to pick those deals up, I hope. Here’s what I did buy at Meijer.
I had to restock my baking cupboard for this birthday week and picked up a couple of the “10 for $10, get the 11th free” deals. Here’s my list from Meijer.
- 4 water jugs – $0.39 each
- 1 gallon vinegar – $1.69
- Baking powder – $1.29
- Eggs – $1.69
- Nestle chocolate chips (36 ounces) – $7.69
- Sour cream – $0.90
- Frozen green peppers – $1.25
- Cocoa -$2.69
- Frozen waffles – $0.90 each
- Enchilada sauce – $0.80 each after sale and $0.30/1 printable coupon
- Betty Crocker cake mix – $0.90 each
- Rice – $1.79
- Bananas – $0.54/lb
- Annie’s mac and cheese – $0.40 after sale and coupon
The best thing about the Meijer trip was that I had received another catalina for “Buy a $50 Meijer gift card for $5 off”. I am going to do that offer every single time I can because it’s a free $5 to spend on groceries! Why wouldn’t I? That means, my grocery trip cost me $27.39 (instead of $32.39). Yay for easy savings!
This week, I spent $81.23. Added to my precious March shopping trips, my total for the month is now at $176.07 out of $260. That leaves me with $84 to spend for the rest of the month. It is amazing how quickly your budget can go some times, even when you watch the deals!
Did you find any good deals this week?